– Refer to their blogs in third person
– Think they are doing some kind of social work by writing about certain subjects
– Keep making references to their number of readers (either in pompous or self-deprecating/satirical ways)
– Use phrases like “This is my home and I do what I want to” (tip: you just do it; you don’t need to explain yourself. And a blog is NOT a home)
– Think people who send comments or link to their blog are automatically his friends
And finally, the most annoying and silly pet peeve about bloggers:
– People who think all blogs are just the same
Listen, just because you can quote Becker and Posner doesn’t mean you have turned into an economist. It might be amusing to read what so and so have to say about a subject, but at the end your opinion only matters as far as your life goes. Blogs are just a tool. If you are not a qualified professional in the area you write about, you are NOT going to change the world by writing a post.
Just enjoy yourself and stop with the delusions of grandeur.